Our aim is to further the Kingdom of God throughout the Diocese of Blackburn with the
Mother Church of the Cathedral Church of St Mary the Virgin as its beacon.
Our purposes are:
- As the seat of its Bishop, to be the inspirational focus of the Church of England in Lancashire;
- To celebrate daily the Christian story through worship, prayer and praise;
- To co-operate in the re-invigoration of our community and its environment;
- To champion consistent excellence throughout Cathedral life;
- To provide continuing assistance to the poorer and weaker members of society;
- To be engaged on a regular basis in wider communal issues through dialogue.